Chicken Finger Sandwiches


No trip to Pune is complete without a visit to Marzorin. It is situated on Main Street in Camp in a tiny little shop three steps above everyone else. Back in the 80s when I used to frequent Marzorin, they had a very short menu. 4 types of sandwiches. 5 types of drinks and a few pastries here and there. Today, Marzorin is a huge 2 story restaurant with a fairly complex menu. My favourite food at Marzorin is still by far the little triangular chicken sandwich. I have tried every possible combination of chicken, spreads and bread to make it taste like the Marzorin. I have come up with many recipes in the process, but the Marzorin combination still eludes me. Here's one of my favourites.

Ingredients
1 cup Grilled Chicken, very finely chopped
8 slices Whole Wheat Bread
1/2 cup Butter
1/4 cup Cream Cheese
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Salt to taste

Method
Saute grilled chicken with pepper and salt with little oil
Whisk cream cheese and butter till they are completely mixed
Apply mixture generously to two slices
Place some of the chicken mixture on one slice being careful not to put too much. Single layer is much better
Place second slice to make the sandwich.
Press slightly so that chicken is held in place by the butter and cheese
Trim edges and serve with hot chai

Comments

Oh! this sounds delightful!! the mother of a parsee friend was on a quest to replicate the marzorin as well...have you tried home-made mayonnaise? I believe she used to use it...(1 egg, salt pepper and a touch of vinegar in a blender streaming in close to 3 cups of oil)
Thanks for reminding me about these sandwiches...I will make them sometime soon!
Anonymous said…
yeh, yeh, yeh....I remember marzorin, love their chicken sandwhiches too, could eat atleast 4 at a time. They have yummy ice-creams too. Those 3-in-1 combinations were my favourite.
Tondala pani sutla re !
Anonymous said…
Marzorin...who can forget those sandwiches.
and the cold coffee yum
will try ur recipe .
MR said…
loved Marzorin...now they have a webesite too www.marzorin.com
I rememeber no matter when u go there it was always packed with customers.
Miri said…
I havent tasted Marzorin sandwiches, but think they would have been like the ones at Waikiki near Sterling theater in Mumbai or the Parsi dairy chicken sandwiches - try as I would, never got the same taste.
I think it was the mayo they used - probably prepared in house, that's the difference.
Anonymous said…
I AM BORN STUDIED,MARRIED IN PUNE NOW IN U.K. I HAVE TASTED ALL FOOD ARABIC,MALAYSIAN,SINGAPOREAN,
EUROPEAN PAAR YAAR PUNE KE FUNTOOSH MARZORIN SANDWICHES AND MANGO DRINK YUMMY BACHPAN SE LEKE ABHI TAK I GO SIT IN ONE CORNER OF MARZORIN ENJOY THE CHUTNEY SANDWICHES AND WATCH ALL THE HEP CROWD IN MARZORIN . WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER WE GIRLS USE TO GO IN GROUPS TO WATCH ALL NDA GUYS COMING ON WEEKENDS THERE. AND USE TO SAY I SAY CHAPS!!!
meher said…
I AM BORN STUDIED,MARRIED IN PUNE NOW IN U.K. I HAVE TASTED ALL FOOD ARABIC,MALAYSIAN,SINGAPOREAN,
EUROPEAN PAAR YAAR PUNE KE FUNTOOSH MARZORIN SANDWICHES AND MANGO DRINK YUMMY BACHPAN SE LEKE ABHI TAK I GO SIT IN ONE CORNER OF MARZORIN ENJOY THE CHUTNEY SANDWICHES AND WATCH ALL THE HEP CROWD IN MARZORIN . WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER WE GIRLS USE TO GO IN GROUPS TO WATCH ALL NDA GUYS COMING ON WEEKENDS THERE. AND USE TO SAY I SAY CHAPS!!!
Anonymous said…
It is rather interesting for me to read the post. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.
Anonymous said…
Keep on posting such themes. I like to read stories like that. BTW add some pics :)
Anonymous said…
The secret is margarine, mustard, vinegar and very little mayo
Jaideep said…
Meher said it right but her trips to Marzorin must've have been years after I used to go there in 1965-1972 ... was in the NDA & later in the Naval Base at INS Shivaji, Lonavala ... our week-end bike trips to Poona were always wrapped up with a visit to Marzorin ... chicken sandwiches & flavoured milk for me always ... and it was all self-service then, with a really kind & lovable 'Aunty' at the counter ... God bless her, she was always so trusting & caring ... still dream of Marzorin's Chkn S/W to this day ... :D

Popular posts from this blog

Sada Dosa

Kayani Bakery and the Mawa Cake.

Matki chi Usal (Moth Bean Curry)