Chutney Sandwich


After securing a less than adequate percentage in my foundation examination during my first year of art school, I was faced with a dilemma. Bribe someone with a lot of money at the school or bribe someone with a little money at the state level and have them direct the school to accept me in the program of my choice for very little money. The second option although the natural choice was easier said than done. It involved traveling to Bombay and dealing with the red tape at the Directorate of Art in the J.J School of Art compound. Of course, after a little research, I did find someone who was willing to push some paper for a little grease on the palms. And since said transaction couldn't be done in broad day light, he suggested I meet him in front of V.T. station at lunch time. There are a number of small food stalls that sell delicious food on the footpath opposite V.T. station, so that was a good option. We met at a man selling vegetable sandwiches out of a cart. 'Indian Club Sandwich - Rs 3.00' it said in bold type. He grilled it in a hand held contraption on a bed of coals. The piping hot sandwich was served on cut up pieces of old newspaper. I along with my 'associate' ate a hearty meal of fresh lemonade and a club sandwich and got out for under 10.00 rupees. After lunch I gave him a suspicious brown package and took the Deccan Queen to Pune. Next week I was called into my college to let me know that I had been admitted to the applied art program. I still remember that sandwich fondly and I wish to someday visit VT station. I hope my sandwich guy is still there.

Ingredients
Sliced Wheat Bread
Chutney (click here for recipe)
Sliced Tomato
Thinly sliced Cucumber
Butter

Method
Apply chutney on one slice of bread
Apply butter on another slice of bread
On the chutney side place a layer of sliced cucumber
Add a layer of tomatoes
Close the sandwich with the buttered slice
Cut off crusts and cut the sandwich diagonally
Serve with hot chai

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aa Ha!! :-)
TCB Walsh said…
Looks a lot like the Coronation Chicken sandwich at Pret A Manger. Does yours cost $58 too?
Anonymous said…
Instructions are perfect if you like butter all over your hands. Important missing information is that the buttered side should go inside.

You are welcome!
Anonymous said…
What moron doesn't know that the buttered side of a slice goes on the inside of a sandwich.
Anonymous said…
Yo mama

Popular posts from this blog

Sada Dosa

Kayani Bakery and the Mawa Cake.

Matki chi Usal (Moth Bean Curry)