Veg Pattice (Spicy Vegetable Turnover)


At the far end of Apte Road lies a tin shed that looks like the aftermath of an eager pyromaniac's unsuccessful experiments. This is the legendary Santosh bakery and the last time I saw it, the walls inside were black from being baked all day, everyday for the last couple of decades. I have fond memories of Santosh Bakery growing up. I remember my dad on his way back from work would make a stop at Santosh Bakery to bring home some hot vegetable pattice. The evening batch would come out at exactly 5:00 p.m. and there would be a huge line to get your hands on a dozen of these bad boys. The veg pattice (not to be confused with meat patties) is a spicy vegetable mixture in a puff pastry. The one thing I absolutely loved about Santosh Bakery was that it appealed to all classes. It was really nice to see a bullock cart parked behind a Mercedes. And their respective drivers standing close to the furnace in the hot Indian sun, in a line where they are all the same. Santosh Bakery serves some really great products. Straight from the oven sourdough bread, cream rolls, cakes, nan-katai, rusk toast, brun butter (hard bread rolls) all wrapped in day old newspaper. I have been dying for a pattice for a while, but the thought of making the dough seemed like too much effort. Until I read on Spice and Rice that Pepperidge Farms makes puff pastry sheets. So here they are. And a quick shout out to my friend Gayatri for whom I made these.

Ingredients
1 Sheet Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry
2 boiled Potatoes
1/2 cup shredded Carrots
1/2 cup Peas
1/2 cup Cauliflower
1 Onion finely chopped
1 tsp Tomato paste
1 tsp crushed Garlic
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 Tsp Salt

Method
Heat oil in a pot
Add garlic and onion and stir till golden brown on edges
Add tomato paste and stir
Add carrots, peas cauliflower and stir
Add Salt, Turmeric, Chili and Garam Masala
Cook the ingredients adding little water at a time
When it's cooked, add potato and mash together into a coarse paste
Allow to cool
Cut pastry sheet into 3" squares and lay them on an ungreased cookie tray
Place a small ball of the filling in the centre of each square and fold over
Seal edges by pressing lightly
Pre-heat oven at 400º F
Place in oven and bake at 400º F for 15 min
Remove when the pastries turn golden
Serve with Chai and tamarind sauce

Comments

Suganya said…
This is the first thing I leanrt after coming to the Applebee country :) Things you can do with puff pastry are endless. My favorite is cream cheese and raspberries!
MR said…
These are regular tea time snack at my place.
pepperridge farm :)
Tee said…
Santosh Bakery....so many memories!!!! I love their pattice and cream rolls. every sunday, my grandmother used to order 2 dozen pattice and it was such treat for all of us kids!
Thanks to pepperidge farms, we can enjoy these at home so many miles away from home :)
Jyothi said…
very tempting veg pattice. Just love them. Thanks for sharing.
TheCooker said…
Santosh Bakery pattice are the best! Much better than the ones from Green bakery or Hindustan.
A Thursday and Sunday ritual for us.
Padma said…
wow that looks amazing, I love using puff pastry coz its so friendly to handle.
Pdk said…
First time here... gotta nice recipes... and i love these veg patties.. havent made them on my own... I miss all the street food of india... tasty and gives that kick to the tastebuds...
Finla said…
Lovely pattice.
I like the idea that you are making it with bought puff pastry .
Should try this once.
Anonymous said…
Thanx so much :-) You jus made me nostalgic, I cherish my college days memoirs...I had rented a flat on Apte Road during those times and Santosh Bakery, Joshi wadewale, Aapchi Khichadi...n some more were my eve snack points....I miss them. But thanx again for coz of you I relived those cherished moments :-)
Anonymous said…
Friend, you have given me a free ticket to nostalgia lane. I have been day dreaming about Mutton Kheema from Cafe Goodluck all day. In desperation, i googled Pune's different eating joints and food items and stumbled upon your blog.
I love NYC but Pune tithey kaay une? :-)
Anonymous said…
maza janma sadashiv pethet zala. Me Mumbai la rahato. Mazya lahanpani shaniparajavalil green backery che pattice ani pilachi khari biscuits avadtat.
Few of my favourite dishes are made of potatoes. One of which is Pattice
Great care had to be taken while preparing the potato paste. the amnt of salt defines the taste
even in my college the most amzing of the things sold by the bakery was veg puff. Tastes amazing with ketchup

Popular posts from this blog

Sada Dosa

Kayani Bakery and the Mawa Cake.

Matki chi Usal (Moth Bean Curry)